Thursday, November 12, 2009

Let The Blame Fall

Having a nursing career of 38 yrs, I actually thought I had a job of importance. I have to blame this delusion of mine on the media and the government who have done extensive surveys on the nursing shortage.
Several articles in nursing magazines have documented facts that supported the idea of a potential healthcare hazard due to this shortage. It seems that the public is starting to feel that that the quality of care is threatened by the nurse-patient ratio. So you see, I have grown accustomed to the idea that I am entitled to be called essential personnel permitted to travel on the snow emergency routes.
Neither sleet, hail, or snow excuses me from reporting for duty. I go prepared to spend the night with a bag of clean underwear and a toothbrush. One never knows when a flake of snow may fall and cause sudden illnesses to befall my co-workers, who call out, causing the night shift to do mandatory over-time. Such was the case of the blizzard in '02, with 1.6 inches of snow.
So I travel the busy beltways and expressways at 6 am in the morning. The traffic is already jamming and hostile. Now these folks have the real important jobs. I have to wonder what could be the force that drives them to such aggressive behavior that arriving to work in a tow truck or a body bag won't slow them down. Can you imagine the risk of going into another dimension?
Why just one single car accident, a poor daring Frogger player, causes thousands of us to be late for work. So I keep snacks, a cassette player and my cell phone handy in case I have to wait for hours. I only use my cell phone if I am caught in traffic, only then. YOU heard me. So I sit back and watch the crazy game of lane changing, blinking brake lights, and squealing tires trying to advance in a game without rules. Can the blame be on the drivers or their cars?
Some cars are just plain aggressive, came right off the car lot, brand new with an attitude, just looking for the right moment to push your buttons or cause your heart to skip a beat with the nasty, loud honking, demanding your attention.
I once was the proud owner of such a car, a 1976 midnight blue firebird. Was I cool or what?
This car, however, had some serious issues. There were times when she purred like a kitten and then, she would shift into a racing mode at the traffic lights, leaving tire marks, squealing with delight. I felt so overwhelmed by her mood swings that I invested in a CB radio (remember those?) just to hear the comments from some of my "buddies" and to keep my back covered. God bless those truckers!
Later in life, married with children, I purchased the only vehicle of its time, a minivan. This was a real family car, dependable, comfortable, but not flawless. The minivan secretly enjoyed road-kill. She destroyed a whole family of deer, who were out on a leisurely walk across the highway (at Christmas time, no less). She was unmoved by the deer blood on the windshield. She managed to feather a chicken clean, scattered several squirrels into their next life, knocked out a few birds, and tried to run over our neighbor's dog. She was a serial killer!
Later on in, we purchased a second car, a SUV. She was a rugged car. She took me through snow and ice storms and never showed any fear. She thrilled with the pleasure of taking good care of me by getting me safely to my very important job. She was happiest in four-wheel drive when her tires had hidden claws that adhered to the road like gum on the bottom of your shoe. One snowy day, she brought me home when the snow covered her tires. It was as if she was waltzing on a white cloud. Sadly we had to put her down due to her age.
I hate to speak evil of her now that she has passed on, but she was a speed demon, getting pleasure from exceeding the speed limit whenever she felt the urge. OK, you have probably assumed that she and I got pulled over by the watchful eye of a trooper who happened to be in the wrong place at the right time, several times as a matter of fact. You see, the police have a keen eye for this type of vehicle, the type that just doesn't get it. Try blaming your speeding on your car and see if that won't get you some serious walking time.
We live in a society that puts blame anywhere. We blame the school lunches and vending machines for contributing to our over weight children. We blame the fast food chains for our elevated cholesterol- they do have salads you know?
Don't forget the biggest blame belongs to stress. Stress causes road rage and Froggers driving without manners. Stress destroys our sleep. Stress makes us sick and contrary and the circle goes on and on.
Today, I got home safely, but will I tomorrow? Will You?

1 comment:

  1. I damaged my first car in a snow storm trying to get to work at the hospital.Of course the hospital would not be able to stay open if I did not show up.It did not matter that people started calling out the day before when the forcast said we may have snow the following day.I bought a brand new Buick(sky hawk)in 1988 that was the one Imessed up trying to get to work in the snow.Drove that until 2002 then bought a Honda Civic.Decided to retire in 2007
    before I wrecked it trying to get to work in bad weather.
    Funny the hospital is still open without me being there.I do hope the patients are getting good care.That was my consern( who would take care of my Patient if I called out) so my dents and money out of my was worth it.

    ReplyDelete