Sunday, February 28, 2010

Spiritual Sister

I don't recall asking for a spiritual sister but I got one just the same, Cathy Dent. God told her that I needed her, a listening ear, a prayer warrior and a person to hold me accountable for what I believed in.
I have always had the tendency to erupt before I think, I gets nuts on the phone, I lose my self-control and she saw it. One day she walked up to me and said this," Chris out, Jesus in". I took a few deep breaths and that is what happened, Chris left and Jesus came to take my place.
Have I reached my goal of a better approach, I am afraid not, but not a day goes by that I do not think of her words, "Chris out, Jesus in."
Now I can take a deep breath and remember her loving words to me. She knew that I was a work in progress, God must have told her. How else could we have been thrown together this way?
I saw her many times when Lara was sick. She rubbed Lara in lotion, she rubbed Lara' s sore legs, she loved on her in a quiet way, like God would do. One day she had to go to work, but Lara was in pain that day, the day before Lara went Home. Cathy didn't want to leave her, she didn't care about work or being late, her concern was for Lara.
Now that we have lost Lara, I feel her concern for me. She checks in on me to make sure that I am letting Jesus in. She is patient and tolerant of me when I fall short. She is forgiving and loving. She is a true spiritual sister and I am so blessed to have her in my life.
I hope she reads this and understands how God was able to use her in my hurting, angry life. My anger that Lara was being taken and my home issues. She was sent to help clean the wounds and mend the broken heart.
Cathy has a testimony that only a few know, but she knows of pain and heartache, she knows of alcohol abuse, she has been there. So God uses her life to mend the broken lives of others.
I don't know what I ever did to deserve her but I thank God for sending her to me. I am never letting her go to far away.
Chris out, Jesus in !!!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Sis,
    I am so happy that the Lord has sent you Cathy. What a blessing she will be in your life. I have also experienced the love and mentoring of a spiritual sister. When I was first saved in 1978 we moved to Charleston, S.C. where Jesus gave me the priceless gift of a spiritual sister, Annie. I was a baby Christian and didn't understand God's ways were different from our ways quite yet she being a mature beautiful Christian took me under her wing, nurtured me, taught me, prayed for me and generally loved me as only God can through a precious friend.Last Monday I got a call from her son, Scott. He said yesterday Momma went home to be with daddy and the Lord.I immediately felt the void but nonetheless, I praise the Lord and rejoice in the fact that my dear friend is with Jesus,who she loved and served so faithfully. I miss her and her sweet southern accent,and her funny cartoon drawings on her cards and letters already. But,one thing I'm sure of is that our friendship will be eternal because our lives are going to be forever and a day in Heaven.
    Love ya,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris you mentioned that you do not know what you did to deserve your spiritual sister.God knows what and who we need and when we need it.Being one of God's children is all we need to receive the best.I do beleive that we go through certain things so we can be a blessing for some one else when they need a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean the storms that come our way. We are stronger afterwards and as you said, we can be a blessing to someone else going through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris do you just some time look or go outside after a storm has just passed through.The peace after such a storm seems to good to be true.We are so happy to know that we made it through,then we are looking to see if every one else made it.All we need is to be there for support.

    ReplyDelete