Saturday, February 13, 2010

Walking in Paradise

February 5th, 2010, Lara left her earthy tent and went to walk in Paradise. The grave side service had to be delayed due to the massive snow. Finally Feb. 12th at 2:30 pm the service out in the snow and mud was conducted by my brother,Tim, in his grief for his loss of not only the mother of his children, but his best friend.
He spoke to his children, reminding them that "Mommy lived in a tent" like we all do and the tent eventually wastes away, but "Mommy is not in her tent now, she is in Paradise". We had to visualize that she was the beautiful woman God created, with her beautiful smile, long thick hair, and vibrant personality. We had to visualize that she was talking and walking on the streets of gold. Tim spoke on that vision of how much he wanted to go there with her or if "our Lord would come back now". I could feel the chill bumps, not from the cold but from the presence of God. This would be the beginning of all of us seeing the hand of God touch a family.
The casket was not lowered in the ground. We all went back to Tim's. The whole atmosphere changed, Neil went out for pizza and drinks, Wally's girls played with Tim's kids and we talked and laughed a lot and cried some. But this was just going to be the beginning of the celebration.
Tomorrow is Valentine's Day, a special day for Tim and Lara. How many couples can say that the one they love is walking in Paradise? Tim is dealing with his pain in his own quiet way and my heart is bursting to hold him and make the pain go away. But that will take time as he waits to see his sweetheart once again.
Next Sunday, we will have the celebration/memorial service for Lara in the largest auditorium in this area, in Westminster High School. 1000 people are expected, since two churches are involved and schools and colleges where Lara did signing for the deaf.
There will be a DVD of Lara's life and her marriage, along with the children and special events. There will be special music and singing as we honor her with our last farewells. The night will be special to everyone that loved Lara. Tim will be conducting the service, only God can give him the strength to say what he needs to say.
Lara was taken for a reason, that none of us will ever understand on this side of Heaven, but miracles will start to unfold, as lives are touched by not only believers but unbelievers as well.
After the ceremony, Tim plans to get the lives of his children and his home back on track. There will be no outside cleaning volunteers, or laundry people such as me and mother, no food brought in, the little family is going to band together and make the house the same home it always was. Sunflowers are all over the place in the house, as this was Lara's favorite. Lara is all over the house , in every corner, and especially in her daughter Rebekah, who looks just like her.
Life will go on and many of us will forget, but a few of us will stay around to remember Tim's pain. We will be there if he needs help, that's what families are for.
Today I went out to get a Valentine's card and a gift for my husband, something I haven't done is a very long time. When I give it to him, I will tell him that I love him, words that are long over-due.

5 comments:

  1. Very well written. Tim is an inspiration to us all.
    I love you too.
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a time like this only the love and strength of God can get us through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written and an inspiration. But while reading I re-visited the pain I felt at the loss of my husband and father of my three children. This was nothing completely new for I go back to that loss and the loneliness all by myself many times. I say to Tim and to the entire family I hurt with you, I love each of you and when I say I feel your pain trust me I do. It is more than a life changing life altering experience. There will never be another day as the ones you shared with Lara. That is the true HELL that we suffer on earth. We know Lara is walking in paradise today but we suffer her loss in our lives...........and that is torture. Go on to tomorrow by moments in this day is the only advice or encouragement I can give. When we lose one so precious we cannot think of making it a whole day, week, month, or year. Just try moment by moment to do what Lara wanted you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris,

    your words are so powerful and bring a smile with tears. My prayers are with you all. God bless and know we are here for you <3

    Love, Caryn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay Christine So you have made your way inside my heart with your writing..What Now?
    Keep up the good work and know we all love you back home on the shore. Sonny B

    ReplyDelete